Saturday 26 May 2007

What's in a name?

Well quite alot actually when you are trying to find a place.

Rymans - before I came mum and dad were on a mission to find a stationary shop. They must have walked past Ryman's a number of times before they realised that it was a likely place to buy printer paper.

Budgens - sometimes referred to as buG-Dens by members of my family. I don't know who taught them to read. At my school (Tawhero Primary) words with a dg in the middle were said like budgie.

Lakeland - no, funnily enough this has no connection with Rotorua. We're in England now. This is a shop that sells homeware - kitchen equipment, stuff for the laundry, bathroom and bedroom, cleaning products etc. So when I was sent a text "we're in a shop near Sainsbury's", how was I to know where to go? That's right, I didn't! What was the point learning to read if you can't give me a name to look for on a shop sign.

B&Q - sometimes referred to by a family member as BBQ. Who knows why. Apparently it is something to do with the large, orange sign, similar to BBQ Factory in NZ. By chance you may find the odd BBQ for sale at B&Q. I would describe it as being like Mitre 10 Mega (also large, orange sign) and Bunnings back home.

As a walk and sometimes cycle around I look at what I am passing. This is in the hope that if I need to find a supermarket, stationary shop, or want to take up building I will know what names to look for.

No comments: