Friday 18 May 2007

Cambridge: Cycling Capital

Dad is off north somewhere sightseeing with a friend from NZ. Mum woke me up at 8am this morning. Why? I am still enjoying being on holiday. Anyway - the forecast was for fine weather today and the sun was shining. It has rained most days since I arrived in Cambridge.

So, with more rain forecast over the weekend we thought we would start our weekend early. We found our cycling gears, nothing at all like what I have at home for serious cycle touring. Then we headed off down to the train station to hire ourselves some bikes.

We found the hire place no probs and decided on a couple of mountain bikes. Out the back Mikey - the tall ginga - finally appeared and sorted us out. I stood and watched as a basket was attached to the front of the bike, lights front and rear and then was instructed on how the locking mechanism works. This is very important in Cambridge because we are in the cycling capital of the world. I have never seen so many bikes. All different shapes, sizes, colours and styles. Anyway, helmets aren't compulsory over here and only a few people wear them. So, just to make sure everyone knows we are tourists we picked up a helmet each. I think they are kind of useful in case you fall off too. Something about protecting your brain perhaps.

Enjoyed a nice ride through the English countryside out to Grantchester, 3 miles or so from Cambridge. Most of the way on a walking/cycling track. As you know there aren't any real hills around here so it was no sweat. The wind didn't even pick up enough to make it challenging. At least we enjoyed the sunshine.

In little more than 5 minutes we checked out the sights in Grantchester, or more to the point scoped out the best place for a pint and a feed. Settled on Rupert Brookes, a lovely little pub with a Belgian beer garden. Had a fabulous lunch - Chicken & Bacon Baguette with fries and salad. I think I will have to go back there coz there are other things on the menu I'd like to try.

We took a detour through Trumpington (south side of Cambridge) on our way home. Cycling casually along the main road and what happens my chain falls off. I coast along for a bit and try and get mum's attention. I think she is going deaf. Anyway stopped and sorted that out. Lucky I've had plenty of practice on the school trips. At least it gave me a chance to test out the bike and my legs at a quicker speed as I raced to catch Mum who had obliviously carried on down the road.

Got home safely and only a little pink from too much sun exposure. Oh well, it will probably be another month til it shines again!

No comments: