Monday 28 May 2007

Stand clear of the closing doors ...

This post has been lost while Dad has been away with the laptop.

I was in London again today. Mainly on bank business. The friendly staff at the HSBC were most helpful and now I have a debit card, two accounts but no PIN. They sent the details of that to NZ I think. So, further delays before my accounts are fully operational. Oh well, lucky Mum and Dad are here. He he he

Anyway. I was changing tubes at Oxford Circus. Nearly made it on to the District line train. Nearly as in, doors were just about to close. I had to make a split decision, dive for it and hope not to get crushed. Or, just wait, the screen informed me, one whole minute til the next train. Thinking about what mum would do, or at least what she would want me to do - that is - the sensible thing, I waited. I’m on holiday anyway and not actually in a rush to go anywhere.

Safely aboard the next train, which was only one minute behind, I took my seat. As usual the announcement was made “Stand clear of the …” Arghhh – a girl is stuck in the closing door. With a struggle she squeezes in, but alas, her back pack is half in and half out of the train. Further pulling and she manages to free the bag from the strong jaws of closing tube door. A sigh of relief.

I do have to laugh though. If it weren’t for my inbred sensibleness (thanks Mum) it could have been me.

Ponder this: why do so many people insist on ignoring instructions?

No comments: