Thursday 13 March 2008

Oxford, Stratford-upon Avon etc

Since the trip to Portsmouth I have had another fun-filled weekend with Sharyn, Mark and Mark. I hired a car for the second time as it is quite a slow journey across country on the X5 bus from Cambridge to Oxford. Much quicker to drive down the M11, around the M25 and then head northwest on the M40. I find that each time I drive I figure out what a few more of the road signs mean!


The purpose of the trip to Oxford was to see my cousin Mel play rugby in the varsity game against archrivals Cambridge. Oxford got off to a flyer and were 12-0 at half time. Only two yellow cards in the first half. One player each team. The ref went mental in the second half and awarded another two or three yellow cards. Who would have thought that the girls wouldn't play by the rules? Maybe it was how high the ref was wearing her shorts that really made her uncomfortable and she had to take it out on someone! Somehow Cambridge scored 13 unanswered points in the second half. With about a minute of injury time on the clock Oxford were awarded a pentaly right in front of the posts. The crowd collectively held their breath, followed by Cambridge supporters cheers as the ball went wide. Disappointment for the Oxford supporters who couldn't quite believe it was all over.

After the game we found the Sportsview B&B and checked into our family room. I was nicknamed baby and then entrusted with the key for our room. With an "8 weeks to fab abs" book from Mens Health we entertained ourselves until dinner. This was so hilarious that I couldn't hold a camera still enough to take any still or video footage. I swear the ab workout was more from laughing at the boys poor form and technique. As an ex-gymnast I felt well qualified to judge this. Only one injury resulted from a collapsed handstand. I was fine but the Mark who tried to catch me was left scarred for life.

On Sunday we took a drive in the countryside. Our first destination was Stratford-upon-Avon. After some laps around the town we found our way to Anne Hathaway's cottage in Shottery (pictured below). There was much deliberation but eventually we forked out a few pounds and viewed the garden and toured the cottage.

The roof was in the process of being re-thatched so the front part of the house was looking less than picturesque obscured by scaffolding. Below is a fetching picture of Mark M posing with one of the less obscure/thought-provoking/offensive statues in the garden.

After lunch and just missing the start of the walking tour in Stratford we hopped back in the car and headed towards home. We stopped off at a little village Stow-on-the-Wold, well known in the Cotswolds for its Art galleries, gifts and crafts. Unfortunately, not as much can be said for the scones that we sampled for afternoon tea. Served cold and dry, not how Dad makes them and not how I like them!

Until the next adventure (Wales at Easter), that's all from me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome stuff. I'm really looking forward to blogging about the various places I will visit, hopefully some of them with you! :)