Sunday 16 September 2007

Faking it!

I think I passsed the test. In recent weeks I have likened my summer job to that TV show where people pretend they can do a job they aren't trained for.



I was reading a book a week or two back. It was about a lawyer in London who worked ridiculously hard and had made it to partner of a major firm, aged 27. Things all went wrong and she ran away. With a splitting headache and dying of thirst she stumbled into a random house in the English countryside. The owners assumed she was there for a job interview as a maid. She didn't put them right as the thought of a nice bed for the night was all she cared about. She was appointed maid after reeling off a list of impressive credentials - all of which were fake. With absolutely no cooking skills or knowledge of how to work a washing machine she spent a considerable amount of money fixing her mistakes. Who washes clothes on a upholstery cycle? Or can afford to have catered food delivered from London to a town 100 miles away.



Anyway that got me thinking. Was I really faking it as an EFL teacher. In some regards I am equally as well trained if not better trained to teach English as I am to teach kids to cook. You decide.



My conclusion is that having had a one month contract extended a further 6 weeks I must have done a reasonably convincing job!

No comments: