Saturday 28 July 2007

Highlights

It's been another busy week at work. Somehow I was scheduled for 4 evening activities this week. I have survived! A few of the highlights are below.

It started on Monday night with a trip to the bowling alley. One of my students challenged me to a bowling competition. The bet was that if he won - no grammar for the class for the rest of the week. So, it was 5 students vs me. My main aims were 1: not to fall over and 2: to beat Antonio and win the bet. Only one of the 5 students was any good. As the game drew to a close I had the opportunity to go one better and beat the lot of them. There was a big team of cheerleaders supporting the students and a couple of teachers on my side. As I was bowling in 6th position I knew what I needed to do to win. I only had to make 3 to take the game. My approach all along had been not to try too hard, just be consistent. On the night this was successful as I think the least number of pins I hit in one turn was 6. Sure enough on my second to last go I sealed victory and bragging rights for the week. Much to the disappointment of the students from my class who now had to do more grammar exercises over the next few days!

Yesterday was the final day for a large group of students. I said goodbye to quite a few Spanish kids who have been in one or other of my classes for the last month. As my friend Emily and I had proclaimed yesterday to be "International day to give your teacher presents" they swung into action. We were showered with chocolate. Best of all my Spanish friends bought a special present and a great card. We have had debates in class about what a kiwi is. It took me a day or two to realise that the Kiwi chant related to the fruit - not in fact the bird or us Kiwi people. So yesterday I was presented with 4 kiwis (fruit) one of which had been given a beak, wings and legs.

Off to London this afternoon to catch up with Gina and friends. More news soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your job sounds like great fun, although the number of after school activities is crazy. Thanks for emailing me and reminding me to check your blog!

I'm still slogging away doing relief. Finding it much less stressful than straight teaching.

rosanne said...

Hi Anna,
I wrote lots to you on sunday and then lost it because I didn't have a google account. so I'm just going to write a little bit to see if it works! I was also a bit slow in working out that I would not get an e-mail everytime you posted something on your blog. So its been great to catch up on all the things you have written.
Your job sounds great. I really enjoyed teaching short ESOL courses - the students were usually delightful. I agree with you about the excellent pd opportunities you are getting. Will stop now but if it works will write more next time!
Lots of love - Ro