Thursday 7 June 2007

Impington Village College

From one extreme to the other in more ways than one. On Wednesday it was a short bus ride to Impington Village College on the outskirts of Cambridge. Protocol teaching agency are very good at giving you directions about which bus to catch and when to catch them. However, I have been in Cambridge long enough to realise that to get to this school I could avoid using 2 buses and travelling 15 minutes into town only to travel 20 minutes back past home to get to the school. So, in just over 10 minutes I walked to the bus and found my way to the school in plenty of time.

This school was more organised. I was given a map of the school and a list of times for each lesson, important as like Tawa there is no bell between classes. Oh, and even class lists for each lesson. Back to a 6 period timetable, each lesson lasting a mere 50 minutes. So it was a period of English - Year 7's (around 11-12) proofing a diary entry on a day in the life of a slave. Not too difficult, mostly students needed help with spelling and knowing what time dawn was.

Then off to humanities - geography with a lovely bunch of Year 9's (not) doing work on floods in the UK in 2000. Straight from the text book. Not too thrilling and although some did work, many did not.

It was to be invigilation again in period three - my favourite. But at the last minute I was let off the hook and took another Humanities instead. Year 8's (I think) doing posters on Pilgrimage. Again some good work produced but some rubbish too.

Back to English for period 4. This lesson was taken by a student teacher. Started off a bit of a mess with a neighbouring teacher, myself and then the student teacher all being present. From the start the kids didn't have much clue who was in charge and took full advantage. There was no time for a quick strategy talk so I sat back and let the student teacher get started. Year 10's were slow to settle but eventually she got the instructions across. After watching one guy wander about. get kicked out, come back in of his own accord, get kicked out again etc. I decided it was time to do something. Just went over and sat with him and worked out where he was up to and helped him get started. He managed to concentrate and do work for a bit but then got bored and wandered about cleaning tables, the TV, the computer screen. The student teacher spent the entire lesson working with one individual. Every now and then interrupted by a question from another student. There were less than 10 kids there and I think I would be kind of annoyed if I were a student in that situation.

After lunch it was more English. I think it was Year 9's who had been watching XMen. There task was to do a review. Seemed pretty straight forward however there is always a catch. A good number of students had seen little or none of the film. This made it pretty difficult to help them get started.

Finally it was another Year 7 group. Back to writing diary entries on a day in the life of a slave. Despite being the last lesson of the day, some students completed this task very well. Not so much can be said for their spelling though.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Somewhere in the middle of the day a kid decided it would be funny to have a fit. You know, fall off his chair, shake about on the floor. The planning for the event was less than subtle so when it occurred I just ignored it. He very quickly regathered his composure and took his seat. We carried on just as if nothing had happened.

So far my opinion of supply teaching is that it is a challenging and interesting job. No day is the same. It is a great chance to visit different schools and look at the way in which they are managed. Also, as a teacher who has desserted her class a fair number of times, it is good to see what it is like to be a fill in. I am quite confident that none of the students I have come across in the last couple of days are as much of a handful as a couple of individuals I could name from previous NZ classes. So far I have been lucky, I am also making mental notes of the types of activity that students can and will complete in the absence of their normal teacher. All very good professional development.

After a busy day I decided to flag the bus and just walk home. Took just over 40 minutes. Good excuse not to go for a run when I got home. At least I thought so.

No comments: